Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Police Station!

Well after my contra ton with the minibus, and being patched up by the kind folk who were travelling in the minibus (who's first aid kit was far more accessible then mine! Mental note - make first aid kit more accessible as having to remove everything from the pannier to get to it might not be possible if there is a next time!!!), needless to say the police were called and my bike and I were loaded into a police pick up for am hour and a half long journey that resulted in some brick and tin shack that they considered a police station! Anyway, I began to be less alarmed at this point as I thought even if I was banged up in this sorry excuse for a building, I would be able to sneeze my way out of it after dark and make for the hills!!! Then I realised we were in the hills and they had guns so I changed my attitude and went for the apologetic approach!
Fortunately for me, I had for once obeyed driving regulations and actually bought myself some Laos insurance in Vientiene so I was going to avoid jail! Then next issue, was how were we going to carry out an interview when I didnt speak Laos and they didnt speak English! Well they was no worries there...they decided to go and fetch the part time doctor who was now studying again in BKK but was back on his holidays! So in rocked this doctor who smelt like he worked ina brewery and couldnt stop putting his arm around me and occasionally touching my knee!!! Luckily the representative for the other side also spoke english pretty well so between to two of them they told me that my insuranc ewould pay for the other vehicle but I was to sort myself out! The next issue was how much the police were going to fine me and charge me for their time! I didnt want to point out that surely they already received a wage for their duties as they were armed and out numbered me and at present I still hadnt felt the cold hard feeling of steel around my wrists and wanted to keep it that way! Anyway, they decided on a total fine of 255,000Kip - about 18 pounds. So when I went for my wallet a bit too quickly, they then put another piece of paper infront of me with another bill of 275,000Kip! I then realised the game had to be played and in true Laos style I was actually allowed to present to the officers an arguement against the fine and make an offer! Anyway, it was a feeble arguement at which the end I said I could pay 400,000kip and they agreed! I still think I was had but I was pleased to be out of the clink for the total sum of about 40 pounds!
Anyway, as I thought I was in the clear, my drunk touchy feely translator decided to offer me a place to stay for the night with him!!! Not wanting to accept but believe me, this town consisted of a few mud huts and a few more proper buildings, I realised my chances of a guest house with ensuite and double bed were fairly slim. I therefore accepted. Anyway, he rode away from the police station after telling everyone he was drunk and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid! He came back for me an hour later once I had collected my stuff and been beckoned over the road to have a beer with the locals sat outside a shop! Once we got back to his I was a little relieved to be introduce to his wife and 18 month old son and was pointed to a room that I was to sleep in. Anyway, he doctor skills came out to play as he force fed me pill after pill and squirted droplets and cream (dont be sick!) over my wounds. got knows what I have taken but one of them was amoxycilin so i know that was good. Anyway, Im bored with typing now so I am fairly sure you are bored with reading! The rest will be brief...
had v. traditional Laos Dinner, then went back to bed. about 30 minutes later his son in law (13) came in to the room and proceeded to bed down too! this is when I realised that the place to stay he had offered was in fact half of his sons bed rather than the spare room I had envisaged! Anyway, I was shattered so cared very little and promptly slept! Woke up , he cooked, I left...there pretty well abbreviated!
I am now back in Luang Prabang hoping that there may be somewhere that can fabricate the bits of my bike that need replacing! I will keep you all informed as to how she fairs up as Im sure you're dying to know!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

OMG I went on the back of your bike...I thought you said it was safe! Rach and I liked the blog...just try and stay in one piece!

We look forward to reading more about your travels

Chloe (aka jungle Jane of the Bornean rainforest)